It’s important for our students to understand basic facts about themselves and where they live and go to school. The All About Me Adapted Work Binder helps them master that information so that they can interact safely with the world around them.
All About Me: Learning Life Skills
When your students are out and about in the world, they need to be able to recall and communicate important information about themselves.
Not only is this a life skill, but it is also a matter of safety.
If they’re lost, they need to know their name, who to call, and where they live. Practicing that information helps them retain it and be able to recite it when the need arises.
When I was teaching, I found that a lot of my students struggled with these skills and had a hard time remembering information about themselves.
So, I created the All About Me Adapted Work Binder that gives them ample opportunities to practice and master those skills.
What’s Included in the All About Me Adapted Work Binder?
In the All About Me Adapted Work Binder, students are able to practice the following skills:
- I know my name (full, first, middle, last) – interactive and writing
- I know my birthday – interactive and writing
- I know how old I am – interactive and writing
- I know my phone number – interactive and writing
- I know my address – interactive and writing
- I know my zip code – interactive
- I know my ____ color (hair, eye) – interactive
- I know my gender – interactive
- I know the color of my shirt / pants – interactive
- I know how I feel today – interactive
- I know my ____’s name (mom, dad, brother, sister) – interactive and writing
- I know my bus number – interactive
- I know my van number – interactive
- I know my lunch number – interactive
- I know my classroom number – interactive
- I know my computer login – interactive
- I know how I get home – interactive
- I know my teacher’s name (multiple interactive options) – interactive and writing
- I can label my teacher’s by name (multiple interactive options) – interactive
- I know my school’s name – interactive
- know what grade I am in – interactive
- I know my therapist’s name – interactive
The interactive component involves students manually moving pieces to answer the question. This is great for your kinesthetic learners!
The writing piece offers students who are able to, the opportunity to write the information.
Both types of skills practice are valuable and the variety allows you to differentiate for your students who need more support.
What Other Teachers Are Saying About the All About Me Adapted Work Binder
It’s always important to know how other teachers are using a resource and understand if it works well for them. Here are some of the things other teachers are saying about the All About Me Adapted Work Binder.
“I loved using this resource to teach my students all about themselves. They really connected to this activity and enjoyed seeing pictures of their families and teachers. It is filled with everyday items that are great for teaching life skills.”
“I love this work binder for extra and independent practice of personal information. My students enjoy using their binder and love how it is personalized to them with pictures of their families!”
“This is a great resource to individualize for students. Personal information is extremely important for all children, but even more so for children with Autism with limited language skills.”
“Great product for my preschoolers. We kept their binders in their chair pockets to use anytime they finished early or during free-choice time.”
“I love the work binders!! The students are always actively engaged and they are proud of how they improve their ability for whatever their task is each day. The students eagerly get their work binders when it is on the schedule and work independently. This particular work binder helps them to learn information about themselves – such as eye and hair color, spelling their first and last name, and learning their address. I love this product!!”
“Great resource for students working on personal information! I like that there are multiple levels. I would have liked if the file is editable to add a tracing font for some of the writing pages. I also would have liked to see differentiation on all of the pages. Some pages like school and classroom number only have a Velcro option and no writing option. Great resource overall and I’ve loved using it with my students! I like all the page options in addition to the standard age/birthday/address/phone number.”
Grab your copy of the All About Me Adapted Work Binder HERE and help your students master the life skills they need.
What’s your biggest challenge with teaching life skills? Share with us below!