Read my 20 winter books for special education rooms to your students to bring winter joy and information to your school. There are a variety of titles that fit many learning levels. Some of the books are silly and will make great read-aloud books to enjoy, and others are informative and will make learning interesting!
(THIS POST CONTAINS AFFILIATE LINKS.)
- The Shortest Day: Celebrating the Winter Solstice is a great book to teach about this interesting phenomenon. THe author uses voacbulary that encourages learning and describes this time perfectly for young students.
- Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter is a great book to read as the seasons change. It points out the differences and what to expect as winter progresses.
- Lemonade in Winter is a good book to teach about counting money. Plus starting and running a small business.
- The Winter People is a book about a war that happened in the winter between the British and a Native American tribe. This book is more for older students.
- Over and Under the Snow is a book that takes a look at what happens over the snow and under the snow in the animals’ dens.
5 Books about Winter by Jan Brett
- The Mitten is one of my favorites! It is about a boy that drops his mitten in the woods. The animals start to use it as a home and it stretches and stretches to accomodate them all! Will Nicki realize his mitten is missing?
- The Hat is a companion story to The Mitten and your students will love it too! Lisa’s hat falls off the clothesline and the animals try to keep it as their own.
- Cozy is about a group of animals that find an interesting way to stay warm in the winter.
- The Snowy Nap is a cute story about a hedgehog that wants to stay awake during the winter. It is a busy time and he just wants to see what it is all about. Then, a snowstorm hits and Lisa finds Hedgie and brings him inside. Then, he gets to see all the great things that happen inside the warm house during the winter.
- The Three Snow Bears is a wintery twist on Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The family is a family of polar bears and the Inuit girls goes into their igloo while they are out.
5 Books About Winter
- Snow is a book perfect for beginning readers with its simple text and expressive illustrations. Your students will love following along or trying to read it on their own.
- Curious About Snow is a nonfiction text that answers a lot of questions kids may have about snow. Plus, the close-up images are so interesting!
- The Story of Snow is packed full of information about snow in a simple to understand format. It is perfect for the little scientists as they read books about snow in the special education room!
- The Secret Life of a Snowflake is a nonfiction text about the creation of a snowflake. It is really interesting, and your students will learn so much from this book.
- Animals in the Winter is a nonfiction book about what the animals do in the winter. Learn about migration, hibernation, and other adaptions for the cold weather.
5 More Books About Winter
- Hibernation is a nonfiction book about what animals do in the winter. This book is written with little learners in mind and is perfect for lower elementary.
- Walking in a Winter Wonderland is about all the wonderful things that happen in the winter. Sleigh bells, snowmen, ice skating, and more!
- The Jacket I Wear In the Snow is a cute story about all the things you must put on before enjoying the snow!
- Sneezy the Snowman will make your students laugh! Sneezy is too cold and has the sneezes! He tries warming up with a jacket, some hot chocolate, and a fire but what happens when Sneezy gets too warm?
- How to Catch a Snowman is a fun tale about kids trying to catch a snowman. Perfect for the introduction to a STEM project on building a snowman trap!
Do you have any great books for winter? Please drop a comment below with the titles for me!